Au Pair Scam

This is just posted as a warning in the hope that it will be picked up by search engines and so help to prevent others being scammed. We know that there are many variations on the Nigerian 419 scam so this is another facet of the deception. The targets are people looking for employment as au pairs etc, especially those from abroad.

This variation is particularly insidious for it preys on those looking for work rather than those wanting money for nothing (as in the case of the original 419 operation). Given the current economic climate this may prove to be lucrative.

Essentially - in the case I was alerted to - the crooks read adverts placed on legitimate sites (easyaupair.com in this instance) and pose as prospective employers offering work.

This particular character goes by the name Peter Johnson and his "family asks to care of the child Alex of 4, in 18 Bedford Street,London.SE18 1BY UK.

He is not -one assumes - the owner of Tranmere Rovers.

A quick google for this address finds that it does not exist and calls to the mobile number provided are barred.

The sting comes in the constant requests for cash (usually Western Union) for certificates and travel documents. The items appear to the layperson (particularly if English is a second language) plausible but in this case there are no such articles as an "antiterrorist
clearance certificate inline with the United Kingdom Immigration Board directives as contained in the Personal Data Act (PDA) of 2006 on hiring employees outside the United Kingdom."

An earlier money request gives the following (probably also non-existent) address:
UK Travels and Tour

5-11 Lavington Street.

London. SE1 0NZ

Phone: +447031915309

Email: uktravels_tours@consultant.com
Graham Edvard.

Obviously, the scam merchants will use other variations once this is clamped down on but hopefully if someone reads this they'll realise that it's a scam and not send money, particularly via Western Union.

I did have a look on the au pair site but could not find any warnings. They might be there but I failed to see one.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are many variations on the scam e-mail you are describing. I have been receiving several similar e-mails each week (I work with au pairs), all from people with different names (including "Matt Damon") and all of whom write in broken English. Thanks for your posting.

Anonymous said...

People gotta live fool.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
eric the fish said...

Last comment was spam.

Jucylyn T said...

I am so relieved to read about this. My friend just got a job offer as a Nanny from a certain Jack Westwood from 18 Bedford Street London : SE18 IBY United Kingdom. It is also asking her to send money via Western Union to his so-called travel agency. So I search for the name with the address and find no matches then I google the SE18 IBY United Kingdom and found some forums about this scam. I am so glad I tried to search first and so thankful that you posted about this scams. Now I can Warn my friend about this scammer.
My only question is how to report this scammer to the London officials so will be put in jail?

Jucylyn T said...

I am so relieved to read about this. My friend just got a job offer as a Nanny from a certain Jack Westwood from 18 Bedford Street London : SE18 IBY United Kingdom. It is also asking her to send money via Western Union to his so-called travel agency. So I search for the name with the address and find no matches then I google the SE18 IBY United Kingdom and found some forums about this scam. I am so glad I tried to search first and so thankful that you posted about this scams. Now I can Warn my friend about this scammer.
My only question is how to report this scammer to the London officials so will be put in jail?

eric the fish said...

I'm glad your friend did not lose out. The thing to be aware of is that often these people may not even be based in London but just want to have money sent by Western union which cannot be traced.
It is strange that they are still using the same address rather than a different one.
The authorities are aware of the problem but find it difficult to trace the criminals.

Blazing Fire Girl said...

Tx for posting this experience--it hopefully will help a few people. Someone just posted in yahoo answers too re: something "is it real"--I was able to search the google--and found your blog--good! Thanks!