Despite claims by the EDL that they are not anti-Islam, just against extremism, the evidence continues to fly in. As we witnessed in Manchester there were anti-Muslim slogans and posters with 'No More Mosques'.
EDL members (in conjunction with members of the party they are supposed to be distinct from) have set up a Facebook protest about a proposed Islamic centre in Weston-super-mare. The planning application aims to convert a former working men's club (possibly a British Legion) into a community and education centre. That the function would also include prayers means that the EDL is able to do a little conversion of its own.
The Facebook group 'No to the new Mosque in Weston Super Mare' sets the tone for the campaign. Notwithstanding that the majority of its 900 plus group have no connection with the area, they are urged to protest.
In order to set the scene the group helpfully posts a picture of a large (and somewhat breathtaking) mosque. [An Eric The Fish badge for anyone who can identify which country it's in - I tried Tineye but couldn't locate it].
Now, having seen the plans online - and not to take anything away from architect M.J. Harding - I don't think the former Wheeltappers and Shunters place is going to turn into the Brighton Pavillion (did I mention that Tranny beat Brighton 2-1 today? That tumbleweed drifting past is for our Fascist friend's silence).
The group outlines its intentions:
- At present we are not aware of any mosques in weston super mare in somerset.
The are major flaws in this application as it has been described as being for muslim children, If it was for muslim children then why does it require 24 hour access? We believe this is a fasttrack way of building a mosque, Then there will be 2, then 3, and so on.
This further ads to the islamification of the united kingdom.
- Because of recent comments in the Weston Murcury, where members of this group were called racist for having their say. We would ask all group members to watch what they write, ( NO RACIST COMMENTS PLEASE ) By all means have you're say.
- But some of the 440 members have written threatening comments in the internet forum.
One post said: "Muslims are never gonna take over this country....well at least weston super mare, I swear on my life if they built this new mosque in weston I will set fire 2 it and thats a f***in promis."
Other comments say that all Muslims are terrorists and one aggressive member threatens to drive a bus into the centre and blow it up if it is given planning permission.
The disturbing comments have also been sent to planning officers at North Somerset Council
Not that deleting previous posts has had much success. One of the founders of the group, John Sheridan shows his loose grip on historical knowledge:
at 11:24 on 12 October 2009Omar, not all muslims are terrorists, But all terrorists are muslims FACT, That is enough, Thats all we need to be afraid. wrote
- Dennis R Raines wrote
at 22:56 on 11 October 2009I Look forward to leaving a little present on their doorstep, just hope i have something to wipe my arse with.
- do you know what,i aint racist at all,anyone who knows me will know that half of the people i mix with are not "white english"
- im sick of this now...THIS IS MY COUNTRY,ENGLAND,IF YOU WANNA LIVE HERE THEN YOU DO IT THE ENGLISH WAY....FUCK MUSLIMS,FUCK MOSQUES,FUCK TURBANS,FUCK ROMANIANS,FUCK POLISH...ALL OF YOU AND YOUR FUCKING TERRORIST WARS,FUCK OFF AND KILL EACH OTHER AND DO US ALL A FUCKING FAVOUR....WE HATE YOU,GO AWAY AND LEAVE US THE FUCK ALONE...IF YOU DONT,THEN SOON SUMMUT BAD IS GONNA HAPPEN COS THE ENGLISH ARE GETTING REAAL PISSED OFF...GO TAKE YOUR FUCKING MOSQUES AND THE REST OF YOUR DIRTY SHITE AND TAKE IT BACK TO YOUR OWN FUCKING COUNTRY......WHERE THERE ARE ALREADY FUCKING MOSQUES!!!!!
- don't let this happen there is an airport not far away remember.
Among the other topics for discussion is a plea to boycott all Muslim businesses posted by Mr. Raines himself. So no way is the EDL anti-Muslim. Oh no.
As we saw at the demo in Manchester there was a larghe number of neo-Nazis in the EDL presence. Our friend Liam Pinkham (who should be banned from attending Tranmere games and is a big fan of this blog). Remember that cartoon, Pinky and the Brain? Well, it had a spin-off. Pinky Without The Brain.
Which brings us to the membership of this group.
- Dennis Raines is friends with Scotland BNP organiser Gary Raikes
- Denis Adams, BNP member
- Tommy robinson (one of the EDL leaders)
- Dave Oloughlin (who likes to send Nazi insignia to friends and has one of the ugliest webcam pictures ever seen. I think he deserves a post to himself particularly his predeliction to sending Facebook eroticism to someone described as his sibling!)
- Granty Chelsea Headhunter (another football hooligan to keep Robinson company)
The group is also advised to contact the local council to protest. Well, we're all in favour of mass action aren't we? Unfortunately, what the idiots don't realise is that they don't have sufficient standing to oppose the application. Some of the comments are pitiful:
Would this site not be more benificial aimed at the youth or community in Weston Super Mare.
I do not think this development should take place. ADAM JONES, West Midlands
JUST GOES TO SHOW THAT THEY WILL TAKE OVER SOON! ANON
Where will the working men now go to socialise? Muslims should stop displacing British people
As Wales Online finds, the EDL Nazis were out in force in Swansea on Saturday (in the guise of the Welsh Defence League) with Hitler salutes being seen. Their article is here and a photo on Flickr from prusakolep, A History student, is here.
For those who think the comments abour Mosques are just bravado, this BBC story should put matters straight:
A 53-year-old man has been charged after petrol was thrown at the doorway of a mosque in Wearside.
The man, from Peterborough, is due before magistrates on Monday charged with attempted arson with intent to endanger life with racial aggravation.
STORMRONT FASCISTS MAY WISH TO READ THIS. PLEASE ASK AN ADULT TO HELP WITH ANY HARD WORDS.