More Milan Robbery

Ferrari in Milan by Eric The Fish

Just when I thought it was just me..........comes confirmation that it was just me. I noticed last week that there was a google 'Jeremy Clarkson be-wop' - almost a googlewack perhaps. Anyhoo, as I spouted in my diatribe here, I noticed a Clarkson carefully-prepared-ad-lib when reviewing a Ferrari.

The BBC respond - for they are not the unaccountable daleks of other networks - and I'm sure Jeremy will see the error of his ways and sign another lucrative contract with the Beeb.

  • Dear Mr Fish

    Thank you for your e-mail regarding 'Top Gear', broadcast on 22 June.

    I was sorry to read that you were offended by a comment Jeremy Clarkson made while The Stig was testing a new Scuderia Ferrari.

    Please accept our apologies for any offence caused. Throughout the testing Jeremy was in awe of this car and he attributed much of that to its Italian design. As usual he made a few references which seem like typical stereotypes. As you're aware this is typical of Jeremy but he certainly doesn't mean to upset anyone and he wasn't taking a view or making a statement as much as he was a random reference. He certainly didn't mean to use the term as a derogatory slur as some in the past have.

    That said, I appreciate that you feel he overstepped the mark this time. As a result I've registered your complaint on our audience log. This is a daily report of audience feedback that's circulated to BBC staff, including members of the BBC Executive Board, channel controllers and senior managers as well as the 'Top Gear' production team.

    Thank you again for taking the time to contact us.

    Regards

    *************
    BBC Complaints
    Wednesday, 2 July, 2008

I'm happy that we do get some response and I've always been weary of serial complainers, but let's face it, the reply does not address the use of the word 'wop' or seek to justify it. It is not enough to say that it's just Jeremy - this seems to have helped Boris Johnson - either it is acceptable or it is not.

Maybe the acceptance relies upon the number of complaints. Maybe I just want to sit in Schumacher's car again.

0 comments: